Saturday, October 17, 2009

Why I want to marry Oscar Wilde (Reason # 572)

"There is a luxury in self reproach. When we blame ourselves we feel that no one else has a right to blame us. It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution."


"Modern morality consisting in accepting the standard of one's age. I consider that for any man of culture to accept the standard of his age is a form of the grossest immorality."


"You come down here to console me. That is charming of you. You find me consoled and you are furious.How like a sympathetic person!"


"One can always be kind to people about whom one cares nothing."


The last one, especially, kills me everytime I read it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

he pretty much said everything there was to be said, no?

Anonymous said...

are you re-reading wilde? naki egulo kono compendium theke tulli?

Joychaser said...

love you for putting this up!

Heathcliff said...

love itttt!!!!!!

Neo said...

I want to marry Oscar Wilde for writing (besides other things) this,

"Well, if my heart must break,
Dear love, for your sake,
It will break in music, I know,
Poets' hearts break so."

Madhura said...

"One can always be kind to people about whom one cares nothing."

Ho yuss!

Q:who cannot but love him?
A:homophobic men, of course!

March Hare said...

@sonai - yes. and some more.

@dibyo - re-reading wilde. compendium tukte jabo kano khamokha?

@diviani, madhu - :)

@footloose - wow. yes, that's a favourite too.

@madhura - isn't that line just killer?