Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 6

A book that makes me sad:


Maybe it's because of the film, which has irrevocably altered my perception of the story. Maybe it's because even when I was young, my heart used to break over and over again for the fiesty Durga. I remember reading the scene where Apu goes to school for the first time and I kept wondering why Durga didn't accompany him too. And my heart broke a little more. I actually bawl for Durga every time I read the last chapter when Apu finally gets to board the train. Stupid, bloody train! Why couldn't the girl have boarded you just once? Gah.





p.s. Also? I hate this cover! I used to own the most wonderful edition of the book where all the illustrations were by Ray. But of course, they had to go change it to some hideous green thing instead!

1 comment:

Abhishek Mukherjee said...

তোকে বলেছিলাম, আমি ছোটবেলায় একটা সত্যিকারের আম আঁটির ভেঁপু বানিয়েছিলাম?