Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I don't get it. I don't get this sense of open, exhilarating elation at the news that a brainwashed 20 something murderer who was promised 20,000 virgins in his afterlife has been sentenced to death.

I don't get the joy. I really don't.

A speedy trial sometimes does go against a fair trial. I'm just glad that, like any other civilized, democratic country in the world, we gave him a chance to defend himself, and didn't shoot him at sight. This entire episode is a tragedy of epic proportions, and I'm looking at Kasab's execution as an unpleasant thing that must be done.

The happiness at someone's death, though, eludes me.

I mention Kasab's age and his brainwashing in order to make people understand the psychology behind what he did. In order to make people understand that celebration of his execution somehow, uncomfortably, makes us more like him and more of his ilk—people who rejoice at lives being taken, people who cannot differentiate between barbarism and justice.

Inherent hatred of any Pakistani common man and all that our neighbouring country stands for is why certain celebrated bloggers make me uncomfortable. When articulate, intelligent, well-off people with a doctorate degree spew venom, we can hardly expect the common man to keep a cool head. 

Shepherds lead; the sheep, they just follow unquestioningly.

3 comments:

Shreyasi said...

Try saying this aloud in public and not getting branded a terrorist. :\ Happened to me. It's a miracle they didn't resort to actual physical violence.

Shreyasi said...

Also doesn't a death sentence for Kasab make him a martyr in the eyes of potential Fidayeens and thus entirely fails the purpose of deterring them?

Abhishek Mukherjee said...

I share the same thoughts. Maybe I sound sissy. Maybe unpatriotic.

I feel at peace with the fact that justice has been served. I cannot bring myself to rejoice over a death, though.