Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Day 13

Really? You sure I'm not eleven and this is not an Archies slam book I'm filling up? Who on earth thought that this would be an interesting question for a book tag? Exactly HOW am I supposed to pick my favourite writer? Do I pick Sharadindu, for his sheer lyrical confidence over the language, and leave out Shakti Chattopadhyay whose lines hit home like nothing else can? Do I pick Satyajit, if only because he gave me Bonkubabur Bondhu, and leave out Leela Majumder with her Bormibaksho, and Abanindranath Tagore with his Buro Angla and 'Kon thakur? Obin thakur. Chhobi lekhe...', and Poroshuram with his Goddolika Probaho and let me not even GET into Rabindranath. I ,also, cannot possibly leave out Terry Pratchett. If only because he gave me Lord Vetinari to crush upon. Nor can I ignore Neil Gaiman, with his dark, dark imagination and uncanny ability to balance delicately between the almost real and the almost unreal. Should I leave out Roald Dahl then and forego the countless hours of goosebumps as well as pleasure that his curiously intense works have given me? Do I exclude Somerset Maugham and the long school days reading 'Moon and Sixpence', sitting on the last bench? Should I leave out Pablo Neruda, even though some of his lines make me choke everytime I read it? Even J K Rowling jostles for attention. Her creation enthralled me for seven long years, and continues to do so.

This post can go on and on and I've not even mentioned one tenth of the writers I wanted to talk about.

Modda kotha holo je I refuse to answer this question.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darun darun

iti
Dipankar Ghosh

Abhishek Mukherjee said...

Some interesting omissions there, though. Very intriguing. Very, very intriguing.